This role is a senior technical leadership position in the Nitriles Research, Development and Technology team. The incumbent reports to the Head of R&D and has global responsibility to support acrylonitrile plants, metrics, best practices, technology transfer, plant optimization, and safety assessments. The incumbent leads a team of senior engineers and senior process chemists, interfacing with Nitriles operations and commercial teams, and providing incremental production costs and preliminary economics of plant improvements. The incumbent leads the team in advancing process improvement ideas, providing process modelling and design support to manufacturing facilities, and providing technical support to customers and to commercial team members. This role supports Nitriles catalyst development by providing process and engineering assessments and improvements including workflow automations and advanced data analytics.
The incumbent leads the PT&E team to:
· Influence the performance of three manufacturing sites in US and Europe, and a majority of the total business product supply.
– Identify, evaluate, and facilitate implementation of process and catalyst improvements.
– Develop and maintain comparative plant metrics.
– Develop and implement optimization tools for variable cost improvement.
– Provide modelling/simulation/calculations to support and improve process safety.
– Lead sections and participate in development of Nitriles process safety handbook.
· Influence production decisions by Nitriles Business Management
– Development and maintenance of incremental cost metrics.
– Economics of plant improvements
· Develop optimization tools for Nitriles manufacturing.
· Influence the Nitriles Capital Program through identification, evaluation and implementation of improvement and expansion opportunities.
· Provide global technical support to the Nitriles business including internal and external customers.
· Provide global support to Nitriles Catalyst and Licensing business; provide engineering support to Catalyst R&D team including safety assessments, workflow automation assessments and implementations, and advanced data analytics.
Level of education & Experience in general
- MS or PhD in Chemical Engineering, 15+ years progressive work experience in technology and/or engineering function supporting manufacturing, with demonstrated delivery of value via innovation and process safety continuous improvement.
- High level process management and control skills are required, along with good interpersonal skills to help define and affect necessary actions.
- Demonstrated experience in leading and growing a team of process engineering professionals.
- Possess a solid business awareness to help manage optimal performance of manufacturing processes and create opportunities (or identify threats) for the business.
- In-depth technical knowledge and understanding of Nitriles and petrochemical processes.
- Widely recognized expertise in process engineering and Nitriles technology.
- Possesses a solid understanding of both business and technical objectives and strategies.
- Demonstrates technical leadership and networking skills that deliver value.
- Demonstrated experience in plant and laboratory automation assessment and implementation programs, and in advanced data analytics.
· Provides Safety Leadership by Example.
· Demonstrates SHE sensitivity which includes an understanding of the SHE requirements in the design or modification of processes.
· Maintains personal integrity and ethical behavior.
· Is a results-oriented self-starter with the ability to interface and influence effectively different stakeholders (operators, unit process control / process optimization engineers, manufacturing managers, R&D engineers, and scientists).
· Uses informal power and influence effectively to achieve results.
· Fosters collaboration broadly in the organization.
· Self Development: Continues to sharpen and develop technical and leadership skills (e.g., influence, leadership style, communication, vision).